Saturday, August 2, 2014

Showing my face

So I've been battling something, related to my gaming channel... I want to show my face eventually, not because I'm a girl gamer but just so people know the voice behind the face. However, I'm a young teenager (not too young, but you know, jailbait) and a GIRL. And I've seen the comments on some videos of female gamers, and they are disgusting.

The whole point of my channel is not to focus on my sex. That's what it's revolved around- just enjoying my content, not the fact that I'm a female. However, it seems like it's hard to find people who'll enjoy your videos for them being entertaining, not for that you're a girl gamer. I don't want to be labeled as another "girl gaming channel"- I just want to be a gaming channel.

(Click on it to read it better. This poor girl shows a bit of
Cleavage and everyone goes crazy over it, excusing her of
Doing it for money, attention, etc. Even if she is, it's no excuse
To treat her like a pig!)
I could deal with rude comments, like, "ur ugly", or "lel ur a girl get a life girls dont play games u just want money". I mean, they'll hurt me and piss me off, but I can deal with them. But basically, I just don't want people saying, "LOL BOOBS" (even though I will not show them), or "came because she's hot, didn't watch gameplay".

Like, come on! I just want to show my face and have people be like, oh, that's the face behind that voice! And it's fine if you find me attractive or unattractive, but I just don't want the slew of gross comments some/a lot of girls get!! Is it that hard to ask? :/

And also, I don't want to get a weird stalker or something, or someone to find my channel. I'm not saying I'm worth stalking, but I'm a young girl, so some guys may be into that... Creepy as hell, but hey, there's people like that everywhere.

And if people, especially the girls, from town find this channel... My God, it'll be scary. Maybe I just shouldn't show my face...

What do you guys think?

-Bean

7 comments:

  1. Thats the beauty of anonymity on the internet, there is no real prejudice of appearance. On the other hand, you're going to hateful and hurtful comments regardless of whether or not you show your face. I am only speculating, but knowing the nature of youtube, it seems to be a breeding ground for those kind of comments. People like that are so down on themselves, they think it makes them feel better by saying hateful/derogatory/misogynistic etc. kind of things. But putting yourself out there is a very vulnerable thing, and you have to be prepared for any repercussions. Think about celebrity's they are under that watchful eye of scrutinizing and overall perversion of privacy. In the end, I do believe life is all about risks, the more you take, the more confident you become. But you have to focus on the positive and attempt to ignore the negative. In retrospect it's all easier said than done, but just sharing with you what I think. Oh and another thing, if you're genuine and real, people will notice that, and that is the real foundation you want to build in. Well said more than I intended, but I hope you find something useful from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your reply was really well-though out and written. Thank you for it. I've actually decided not to show my face, mainly because of the fact that yes, I may be paranoid, but there are creepers on the internet. Not many, but some. :)

      Delete
  2. People these days have nothing better to do, they comment things they probably dont mean at all, but its still nasty. Dont be afraid to show your face, I mean I think girl gamers are super cool b/c its rare. And plus showing your face is not such a big deal b/c the viewers mainly watch you play the game. I get the stalker part maybe scary. I suggest you show your face after you have developed a steady amount of subscribers that way you have more fans than creeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight! That's a very smart idea, actually. It'll be more of a "surprise" too, haha. And then I'll do it when I know my fans are actually genuine.

      Delete
  3. It's fine to show your face in a gaming channel.. after all, you're not going to talk about any personal stuff so you've got nothing to fear. As for the rude comments... we all know that it's very possible for people to comment rudely. It's the internet after all. So it depends whether you have a thick skin, I think. However, the majority of the people are pretty nice.
    I actually regretted showing my face in my blog, lol. I thought I wasn't going to be too personal in the blog. But the more I blog, the more urge I feel to be personal, and since I've failed to become anonymous (anyone who knows me in real life can google my blog), I try to hold some things back, even though it's inconvenient for me. I even thought of starting a new secret blog. Maybe it'll happen. Anyways, if you just want to talk about gaming in your channel, I think it's fine to show your face, and just be really good at what you're doing so people don't judge base on your gender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel about the face part. Someone found my yahoo account once, and I had asked a whole bunch of embarrassing questions that they hopefully did not see. Woops. It's always nice to have a bit of privacy, too. However, I guess as long as your name isn't on this blog (full name) you'll probably be good. And if they ask if it's you, well, deny it I guess! Haha. I'm considering opening up a personal, secret blog too. And thanks for the advice at the end. It seems like weaker girl gaming channels (no offense to them) seem to have more fans there only because of their sex. However, some good girl gamers, like some Sims 3 players, have lots of fans that just enjoy their content, no rude comments. :)

      Delete
    2. See, there you go! As long as you're good, you can do it! It's your channel after all :)

      Delete